Friday, September 6, 2013

Week 15: Got Energy?

Dear Baby,
Monday was a holiday and the week began slow.  To put it frankly, your mom and dad celebrated Labor Day by being bums at home!  Dad putzed around with house projects while Mom slept into the afternoon.  I was exhausted!  Even running a tiny bit of errands seemed strenuous.   I believe I’m guilty for at least part of my sluggish feelings.  With the move, unpacking and organizing, plus traveling for Dad’s birthday, I hadn’t been making a point to get us some moderate exercise.  I assume my feel-good endorphin levels were a tad on the low end.

Still, I was a bit alarmed with how tired I felt until I learned yet another neat thing about the bodies of mamas during pregnancy.  Pregnancy hormones trigger our brains to tell our respiratory system to change.   The changes increase the depth and frequency of breaths, making me feel like I’m sucking wind after minor tasks.  Also, as my body becomes more selfish, for your benefit, my blood levels are increasing.  Currently, the plasma levels are increasing faster than red blood cells.  (In short, less oxygen-carrying vehicles in my body even though there’s more fluid)  Slowly the red blood cells will catch up.  For now, though, you’re getting all the good stuff.

Understanding this concept is possibly my first lesson in parenting.  It’s one I’m sure I will need to relearn again and again.  Sometimes your needs will come before my needs and I’ll be required to adapt.

Dad and I heard your heartbeat again.  It was easier to locate and recognize this time.  It was also much more clear and distinguishable from the white noise of the machine. Both good signs you’re growing in size.  Every few seconds we'd be listening to the "whoosh-whoosh-whoosh" of your heartbeat and a static sound would interrupt.  I'd liken this static interruption to the sound you get when tapping a microphone during a mic check.  Our midwife told us this noise was kicks. Even though I'm not able to feel movement yet, you sure are active!

I'm still feeling good.  You'd have to look close to tell I'm showing a tad.  So, for me it was a relief to visit the doctor and know all is well.  According to the week-by-week updates, you are about the size of an apple or orange (4 inches, crown to rump) and weigh 2.5 ounces.

I fought through and finally overcame my dreadful tiredness.  Twice this week I’ve had enough energy to go for a jog and explore our new neighborhood.  Temps were a little warm while running, but it felt good to exercise.  I’m excited to take Dad on the route I travel.

My advice to you: hang on in there!  The cooler temps of autumn are coming soon and Mom’s got some good motivation for running!  Let’s hope we can keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment