Sunday, August 11, 2013

Week 12: Questions


Questions are an essential part of conversation.  As a former reporter and current television host, I know this. I have skillfully learned the art of question asking to fuel conversation.  This is either due my own personal interest in a given topic or the simple fact that to be successful in my career I must, at times, maintain healthy, interesting dialogue. 


Since my own wedding, I’ve learned there are a few questions one should anticipate.  Back that train up – the questions begin well before marriage.  When you’re single, family and friends want to know: 
“Are you dating anyone special?” 
“Who?  Tell us about him!” 
“Do you think he’s the one?” 
“Do you talk about marriage?” 
“Are you looking at rings?” 

Fast forward, engagement: 
“How did he propose?” 

“Were you surprised?” 
“When’s the big day?” 
“What will your wedding colors be?” 
“How many attendants will you have?” 
“Are you taking a honeymoon? Where?” 

Many of these questions are genuine and stem from people truly being excited for you.  I know this because I am guilty of firing this gamut of questions towards othersThen comes the ultimate, post-wedding question:  “Do you want kids?  How soon?" Immediately following our wedding Dave and I were bombarded with this question!  Yes, we knew we wanted children.  Together we developed a standard way to respond to these bold question-askers. 

My point in drawing out this question-asking saga is that with all these questions about future, how do we live in the moment and enjoy what’s happening right here and now?  It challenged me at times.  Luckily, I had Dave to help me return to the present moment when inquiries about the future swarmed.

Announcing pregnancy, I’m learning, brings it’s own set of questions.  This has made me realize that the questions will never stop.  Even once baby is here I know they’ll continue. That’s because there are so many people in our lives that are invested in me, in Dave, and in this baby.  They ask because they care!  What I need to do is use the questions as assistants in keeping me grounded and living in the current moment.  After all, if we hadn’t just announced that a baby is on his or her way, people wouldn’t be asking these questions, right? 

Dear Baby,
Everyone is very curious about you!  As Mom and Dad continue to share the good news, we are also funneling many questions!  We think it’s fun to answer.  It helps build our excitement for your arrival – something that seems so far away right now.  We’d like to share with you some of the questions that people are asking about you:

When are you scheduled to arrive? 
According to online due date calculators and what nurses tell us, your predicted due date is February 23.  This is solely based on the date of Mom’s last cycle.  We think it’s pretty accurate, but will feel more confident after your first ultrasound.  Whether or not this will be your birthday is ultimately up to you. 

How has Mom been feeling while you grow?

The simple answer is well.  So far you haven’t caused me any sickness.  There have been minor moments of feeling nauseous and sluggish, but nothing dramatic.  You haven’t hindered me for keeping a regular exercise routine – yet! That said, I am able to feel your presence more and more.  When I stretch or move a certain way my body feels different.  The nurse says that is normal.  The biggest change is that you’ve made me feel tired.  I’ll chalk it up as good practice for what’s to come. 

Do we want to know your gender? 

Not until you are born!  I have always wanted to keep gender a surprise.  Your dad thinks this will be exciting, too.  This is a God-gifted surprise and we want to bask in the suspense!  We think it will be fun to share this information along with the announcement of your arrival.  I think it will help us not plan too much for you.  It allows you to just be you! 

Is Dad excited?

Of course!  And very supportive!  He has been very accommodating, too.  Your dad has always been patient with children and I enjoy watching him interact with young kids.  Since learning about you it makes my heart melt to see his generosity and love towards little ones. 

Some say forgetfulness is a side effect of pregnancy.  Whether or not science can prove this remains up for debate.  Either way, your mom was a space cadet today.  One of the stops while running errands was the grocery store.  I made my way down the list and through the store isles.  I paid for the groceries, thanked the man who bagged them, headed to the parking lot, and loaded my car.  I drove home, unloaded the groceries, and began putting them away.  While reorganizing the refrigerator to allow room for everything to fit I realized the small yogurt packs were missing!  This is the reason I went grocery shopping in the first place – I wanted yogurt for the morning!  I must have left a bag in the shopping cart!  I hopped back in my car, peeled out of the driveway and drove straight to the grocery store.  I flagged down the cart corral boy and asked about the missing bag.  Nothing.  I visited guest services in search of a sack of abandoned yogurt packs.  Nothing.  I learned that if I had my receipt I could turn it into security who would review tape footage and determine if another guest took my yogurt.  This was not an option for me.  This is because I had left the receipt on the kitchen counter back home.  Saddened and frustrated with myself I called your dad at work.  He laughed with me and said everything would be okay.  Once back home I went through my grocery receipt, item by item, taking things out of cupboards that I had already put away. While intently crossing off items that were accounted for it dawned on me – I never bought small yogurt packs!  I opted or the bulk yogurt that came in a larger container.  This tub of yogurt was hidden in the bottom of a large grocery sack.  Oh, the embarrassment…

Get used to it.  Your dad and I are sure to embarrass you many more times throughout your life.  Just know it’s out of love.  I hope you enjoy our yogurt that we’re having for breakfast tomorrow!
Checking off the grocery list...
The elusive yogurt
Week 12
Your first cards :)

No comments:

Post a Comment